Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Blog Entry 15: Freestyle

This week has been pretty interesting, as far as my reading selections.  My wife and I are watching our friend's 5-year-old son, so I have been reading a lot of Dr. Seuss and "Good Night Moon."  He never get tired of reading the same books over and over.  As annoying as it is for me, I encourage him to continue reading!  When he and I are not reading a book, my wife or I will ask him what the names on packages are, when he is "helping" us make dinner.  I also ask him to spell out the names on the packages..  In my own way I feel like I am helping him learn to read better.  I try to make reading as fun as I can for him and make little games out of it.  Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. I think what you are already doing, James, is great! Kids like the security of reading the same story over and over, and they are probably learning to absorb more of it each time, not only the story itself and the images but also how books work in terms of reading from left to right and how pictures and texts interact. Making that experience fun and connecting it to practical reading experiences is really, really important for kids. Even just sitting with family and friends to read is a special bonding experience. Nancy

    ReplyDelete