Sunday, August 12, 2012

Blog Post 17: Qutoe Response

Hale: "'I want to see John.'  And then she-laughed.  I guess you would call it a laugh.  I though of Harry and the team outside, so I said a little sharp: 'Can't I see John?' 'No.' she says kind o' dull like...'Then why can't I see him?'  I asked her, out of patience. 'Cause he's dead,' says she, 'Dead?' says I (Glaspell 839).

I thought this murder mystery play was pretty interesting.  This part stood out to me the most.  Lewis Hale, is recounting his story of when he went over to the Wright's residence to see about John Wright.  Mrs. Wright is so calm and collected, rocking back and forth in her rocking chair and paying attention pleating her apron.  It does not even seem to phase her that her husband is dead.  She even laughs when Lewis asks to see John.  

A main theme of the play is men taking women for granted.  So in a way I guess I can kind of feel for Mrs. Wright (although it is HORRIBLE what she did) just working where I work my eyes have been really opened as to how people can just one day "snap."  It still does not condone the behavior or impulse in anyway, it is just interesting to see the lengths people will go to make themselves feel better or free themselves of a situation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment