Sunday, August 12, 2012

Blog Post 18: Quote Response

Barbantio: O thou foul theif, where hast thou stowed my daughter?
Damned as thou art, thou hast enchanted her!
For I'll refer me to all things of sense,
If she in chains of magic were not bound
Whether a maid so tender, fair, and happy,
So opposite to marriage that she shunned
The wealthy curléd darlings of our nation, (63-70).

First off I would just like to say that I had a very hard time trying to keep up with Othello, so please forgive me if I totally get this wrong or feel free to help me understand what is going on better.  From what I can understand, Othello is married to Barbantio's daughter.  But, Iago, who I thought started off as being friends with Othello, turns on him and plays into the rumors that Othello is a sex-crazed thief.  Because of the color of his skin and the cruel rumors, Barbantio can't help but listen to them and in this scene arrives with his men to take Othello and demand that he tell him where his daughter is. 

I chose this quote because it reminded me in a way of the scene I chose from O.  Except, Barbantio is accusing Othello of foul play with his daughter, rather than O accusing Desi of infidelity.  I must have read the pages of the play at leave 3 times, and I am still struggling I feel.  For the most part I think i have the hang of it, I hope I did not butcher it too much.  Good luck out there to anyone else in my shoes!

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I think you've got the hang of it. Brabantio is initially swayed by racism. He's kind of like: what could she see in you when she didn't even want to marry all the better guys? You must have bewitched her.

    Shakespeare takes some getting used to, which is why I always teach one of his plays in ENGL 104. It's a good cultural experience. I had Mrs. Jackson for three years in high school, and we read maybe three Shakespeare plays each year (she had a crush on Laurence Olivier, who played many of the great Shakespeare roles), so it's easier for me. :) Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice James. I too had trouble and at first my head was spinning. I didn't read much Shakespeare as a student so it was hard for me too. What I finally did was I got on-line and found the play with side by side versions Shakespeare and new English. It took a little longer to read it (because I read both sides) but it made the play to be very enjoyable and by the last few scenes I didn’t really need the new English side any longer. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sometimes we are hurt when or true friends commit mistakes.we should just forgive
    them and only remember how they supported us when we needed them the most

    FORGIVE ME QUOTES

    ReplyDelete