Sunday, July 29, 2012

Blog Entry 11- Quote response

For my quote response I chose the poem Eight O'Clock, by A.E. Housman.

Strapped, noosed, nighting his hour,
 He stoop and counted them and cursed his luck;
And then the clock collected in the tower
Its strength, and struck. (5-8)

This poem is very short, but I found it very interesting at the same time.  It made me think of a man with somewhere to be at Eight O'Clock, and he is waiting for the time to go by and "cursed his luck" (6) when he sees that it is not 8 o'clock yet.  I am sure everyone has had this feeling once or twice in there life, when you sit and watch the minutes on the clock go by, just hoping time will speed up.  Finally, when "the clock collected in the tower/ Its strength, and struck" (7-8) every moment before of waiting and watching becomes worth it, and you are relieved when you are freed to be where you need to be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment