Friday, June 29, 2012

Freestyle Blog Entry Week 1

This week for my freestyle blog, I would like to discuss a reading issue.  A lot of what I am reading outside of my textbooks are not very enjoyable, just books for work that I need to read to study for my upcoming officer's test. 

Although my wife and I do not have kids, we have had many conversations with our good friend who is a gradeschool teacher, about the amount of children today that are not at the reading level they should be.  Not only that, there seems to be a trend in rushing to finish or get to the point of a reading assignment, without the child even comprehending what they read.  I think it is really important for parents or guardians to take the time to read and with their children and ask them questions about what they read, and instill in them from a very young age, the reading and comprehension tools that will no doubt help them in their future in education.  I know for me, looking back, I would have appreciated a bit more of a push to read and understand what I read.  As we read in the readings on reading, the way in which we read today has definitely evolved from the way it use to be.  There are so many more options of how to read.  We are not limited to opening a standard book.  There are iPads, SmartPhones, Nooks Kidnles, personal computers that enable us to read whatever, whenever.  Not only that, it gives parents the opportunity to make reading more fun and exciting for their children and hopefully encourage them to want to read more.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, James. Yes, I agree with your emphasis of early reading as important. I enjoyed hearing that you used to read to your siblings. That is a great way to gain a love of reading! I read to mine, too, sometimes whether she wanted me to or not! :)

    Your point about technology reminded me of my daughter using a computer keyboard at a very young age. She had trouble making the letters by hand, but she learned them quickly on a keyboard. Technology provides lots of options to encourage kids to succeed in reading. Nancy

    ReplyDelete